Outfit 1: Banana Republic Shorts c/o // Anthropologie Vest // J.Crew Top // Madewell Bag // J.Crew Mules, Similar //RayBan Sunglasses
Outfit 2: Banana Republic Sweater c/o // BB Dakota Jeans // J.Crew Mules, Similar // Target Bag // Spitfire Sunglasses
Fringe, tassels, or pompoms… lately I’ve been of the mindset that there can never be enough. They’re fun and give everything a great bohemian look and feel. My husband can attest to my obsession with fringe because it all started when decorating our home. We have now added macramé curtains, pom-pom curtains, a fringe pillow… a chair in our dining room is even draped with a fringe shawl to give it a little added flare. I love the trend and I love that it’s made its way to fashion so now I can sport it wherever I go. Whether on a sweater, top, bag or shoes I want it all and I want it now. When I’m in a store, my eyes zero in on the prey and there’s no pulling me away. I just find the texture so much fun and it can create such interest in an outfit.
Take these two outfits that both highlight just how awesome fringe is. In outfit 1 the color combo is quite simple with just grey white and black. But the fringe detail on the top gives the outfit depth and some much-needed visual interest and elevates a relatively simple outfit combination. In outfit 2 the fringe sweater adds some feminine detail to a pair of boyfriend jeans. Adding the heels helps really make this look special.
That’s what I think I love most about fringe details, they mix well with simple pieces that everyone has in their closet and help turn an outfit into a real show stopper. And who doesn’t want to be a show stopper?!
*Banana Republic provided free product in exchange for this post. All opinions expressed are my own.
Banana Republic tee c/o // Madewell Skirt // Banana Republic clutch c/o // Madewell Heels
Oh Spring, I can’t say it enough but I’m just so happy to see you. You always know how to show up right when a girl needs ya. With all the bright colors and beautiful embellishments how could you not be excited about it? Even living in Southern California where the weather is typically warm, there is a noticeable difference when the days become longer. All of a sudden my toes want to be out and my skin wants to feel that warm sun and cool spring breeze. Don’t even get me started on the flowers, my husband can attest I sound like a broken record when I get started talking about everything blooming around.
After months of keeping myself all covered up in long chunky layers, a light skirt and tee is just what the doctor ordered. Lately, I’ve really been diggin’ tying my tee’s up to create more visual interest in outfits than simply tucking in the tee. I think it creates a super flattering look as well, since it highlights the waist (your narrowest feature) and I’m pretty sure everyone is on board with that. The fun part about keeping your outfit simple is that you really get to load up on accessories. Whoever said less is more really didn’t know what they were talking about. Layered necklaces, an embellished clutch, and a bright lip, I say bring it on! I really think it just goes to show that a simple tee really is all you ever need. No more but definitely not less.
What are the ways you’re dressing for spring? Do you have any simple style tricks you’re pulling out of your book? Come on, don’t keep them all to yourself!
*Thanks to Banana Republic for collaborating on this post! All opinions expressed are my own.*
Every year my New Years resolutions seems to be the same old story, get in shape, eat healthy, etc… This year I’m trying to find real ways to make an impact with more reasonable resolutions. The goal? To live a more balanced life. Below are a few items that I already have or am hoping to get for Christmas that will help my overall well-being in the coming year.
- Takeya Thermoflask. (pictured above): If you’re anything like me you don’t drink even close to enough water throughout the day. I love water but I’m super particular about the temperature, I like it ice cold! Besides the fact that the water bottle looks super sleek, the best part is that it keeps your beverage cold for 24 hours or hot for 12 hours. That’s the best gift you can give yourself!
- Pictures. Every year my husband and I realize that we haven’t captured very many moments of the two of us together. It’s really sad considering we both have blogs and have way too many photos of us individually. My goal is to be able to look back over the last year and remember different moments that we spent together. With cool platforms like chatbooks popping up it’s so easy and I have no excuse.
- Books. I don’t read nearly as much as I would like to. TV is way to easy to get sucked into (damn you Bravo) and I want to spend more of my time expanding my interests and learning new and exciting things. I’m planning to start by reading The Motivation Manifesto (which my husband bought me last year for Christmas, yikes!).
- Planner. Holy moly I am the most unorganized person on the planet. Luckily I remember the majority of the things I have going on but that’s not to say there hasn’t been a missed appointment here and there. I want a place for to-do’s, groceries, work projects, cleaning responsibilities, etc. I’m eyeing this one, this one, and this one!
- Smoothies. I love fruit and veggies and I love them even more when they’re blended into a frozen drink. The struggle is my early morning work schedule combined with the fact that blenders are not easy machines to keep clean. My sister recently gave me a Nutri-Ninja and I’m planning on using it on a regular basis to keep a more balanced diet; I always feel more energized when I start the day on the right foot.
Have you guys started thinking about any resolutions for 2016? Anyone blown away and wondering how it’s almost 2016!?
Oh boy, every year I swear by this time I’ll be done Christmas shopping, gifts wrapped and under the tree so that the rest of the season can be spent admiring all the beauty that comes with the season. To say that hasn’t happened would definitely be an understatement. Don’t worry though, I’ve got the perfect solution for those on your list (and mine)! Gift baskets can seem a bit impersonal at times but with Stonewall Kitchens there are so many options to suit that special person on your list!
My husband and I love to make breakfast so we made the blueberry pancakes over the weekend. They were so delicious and it was super convenient to have everything we could need to make them from one cute box! Plus, the blueberry jam is killer! That’s not the coolest part though, follow the instructions below and you can win one of your own. Don’t forget to check out the rest of their Holiday Gift Baskets here!
1.Follow me on Instagram (@melrosenkilde)
2. Tag a one friend in the comments section to enter!
3. Want an extra entry? Tag another friend in the comments section.
It’s really that easy! Good luck and Merry Christmas!
Old Navy Coat c/o // Old Navy Flannel c/o // Old Navy Dress c/0 // Madewell Boots // Madewell Bag // Spitfire Sunglasses
Winter style is a tricky thing my friends and the struggle can be real no matter where you live. For me, I love a good printed coat, booties, and scarves but all those items together here in SoCal can be a bit much when it’s only a “brisk” 72 degrees. I know, I know, I’m sure some of you are experiencing some severe envy when you think about the fact that I’m running around with bare legs, but let me tell you that I wish it was cool enough that I had to cover them up. So my solution to a warmer than typical winter is to try to find fun ways to incorporate layers and texture into my look despite the fact that I may spend the day in a puddle of sweat. So, simple trick here is to find light layers that can create interest and mimic your favorite cold weather outfits. In this instance I combined this simple sweater dress and paired it with this bold coat for a great contrast. For fun and pattern mix I added in the plaid shirt. The print works well with the both the color of the dress and the printed coat, but, since it’s only in the seventies here, I used it as an accessory and kept it tied around my waist. That way you get the effect of multiple layers without the fear of overheating.
Find these fun winter staples and more right here!