If you want a breakfast that doesn’t require very much work in the morning (but some the night before) then, this is the recipe for you. It’s delicious and I’m not really sure what else you need to know… It’s like a casserole, for the morning that combines everything that’s amazing about breakfast. I made it for my dad for his birthday and he loved it! Here’s the recipe:
8 center cut bacon slices
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
8 oz slices shitake mushroom caps
3 garlic cloves minced
2 cups shredded hash brown potatoes
quarter cup unsalted chicken stock
5 cups fresh baby spinach
2 tbsp thinly sliced fresh basil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt divided
1/3 teaspoon freshly ground pepper divided
3 oz reduced fat swiss cheese
1/2 cup milk
6 large eggs lightly beaten
1. Cook bacon until crisp
2. Remove from pan and crumble
3. Add onions, mushrooms, and garlic to pan drippings and increase heat to medium-high. Saute six minutes.
4. Add potatoes and stock and saute for six minutes.
5. Add spinach, basil, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper and cook until spinach wilts.
6. Remove from heat, add cheese and crumbled bacon and combine in broiler safe dish coated with cooking spray. Stick in refrigerator over night.
7. Remove from the refrigerator and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
8. Combine eggs, milk, remaining salt and pepper and beat together. Pour over mushroom mixture and bake for 28 minutes.
9. Preheat broiler and remove dish. Broil for 3 minutes until top is browned. Let sit 5 minutes and serve!
This is easier than it looks and your tummy will thank you in the morning, and so will your family!!